Monday, September 6, 2010

Milwaukee!

Bryson and I headed over to Milwaukee on Saturday and decided to focus our adventure at the Milwaukee Art Museum (MAM). It sits on Lake Michigan and is so beautiful! We had lunch at the museum cafe (which was so good!) and then had a great time exploring the first part of the museum. Afterward we headed out across the suspension bridge to see a little of downtown Milwaukee. Although I wasn't the biggest fan of the wind (Bryson kept telling me to embrace the wind :) ) it was fun to see all the different styles of architecture, from turn of the century and art deco to modern.

Even the museum's parking garage was a work of art.

One of my favorite pieces, this was what we saw when we came up from the parking garage.

Want to know a secret? I think it would be so cool to be a glass blower and make things like this!

Standing in Windhover Hall looking up at the sky through the museum's "wings." The Burke Brise Soleil has the wingspan similar to a boeing 747 and the open and close every morning and evening. Plus they have wind sensors, so when the wind reaches a certain point, the wings will close.
Here's a view of the wings from the suspension bridge.

The next couple pictures are some of the amazing buildings we saw in downtown Milwaukee.




We're so excited to head back to Milwaukee. Not only for the wonderful traffic (Driving to Chicago is stressful!) but to see more of what Milwaukee has to offer. I'm sure we'll be back soon!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! You two are really good at adventures! You should check out the Kohler Art Museum in Sheboygan if you have 2.5 hours drive time. Fall in Door County is beautiful! (I look forward to seeing photos of the inside of your apartment all set up too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these photos! They are sooo pretty. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are having so many adventures! I just have to chuckle to myself though, because I can totally picture you walking around taking pictures and laughing with each other. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome to hear about your forays into cheese country (or is it beer country?). Did you ever imagine, when you were in high school, that your life would take you to exotic places like Milwaukee, and you would love it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. jjj, we are most DEFINITELY in cheese country. Our license plates say "america's Dairyland" and there are entire sections of grocery stores dedicated to varieties of cheese. There is even a "locally produced" Parmiggiano Reggiano cheese (which I think might be impossible to actually do...but alas), and no...Milwaukee wasn't even on my radar in high school...If only I would have paid more attention in that geography class...

    And Aubrey, you are totally right! Although the more humorous part was Whitney getting stressed when I decided to wander into the city - because it "wasn't part of the plan!" We were both so glad we broke from our plan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dream of being a glass blower... I wonder if those are Chihuly?

    ReplyDelete